Monday, March 2, 2009

The 4am Project



What is the 4am Project?About

Hi. My name’s Karen Strunks, and my curiosity about 4am began about a year ago.

I live in Birmingham - the UK’s second largest city - and after a night out a while back, I was driving from one side of the city to the other. It was around 4am and I was really struck by the cityscape. Streets and roads normally teeming with people and traffic were deserted. The city was asleep and it felt like I had it all to myself. I liked it.

So late last year, I went out to take my first pictures at 4am in Birmingham. I’ve made some of them available on my blog. I’ve been asking readers of my blog for their suggestions of places they’d like to see at 4am. They decide where to go, and I take the photos, so it’s become a collaboration.

When I started to think about how the idea could be extended, the 4amproject was born.

I’d like to involve you in this project. What will YOU be doing at 4am on 4th of April?

Put the date in your diary, set your alarm, and take a picture of your world at 4am. It can be of anything at all. A self portrait, the room you’re in, the view from your window. Perhaps you want to venture out a bit further, maybe you’ll be travelling, or at work - maybe you’re a night owl…

I’m going to get some friends together and go out and have a 4am party. Why not do the same? Get some of your friends and family involved too. Or simply set the alarm, take a picture, and go back to the land of nod.

Whatever you’re doing, it’d be great if you could get involved and play a part in building up a big picture of the world at 4am.


http://4amproject.org

No comments: