Thursday, May 29, 2008

Many Faces of Ashton


Lion Prince


Spider Man

Ashton is addicted to face painting. Spider man, Lion Prince, Dragon .. he's working his way through all the different painted faces he can before resorting to his own skin. He's also become an expert in the art of face painting. He can spot the fakes from a group of clowns ready with paints and brushes. No way can I or anyone else fool this kid. Did I say he's an expert.. yes, I did. Well, he proved that to me back in January.

On our sky trip to Steamboat, CO. we went to a concert to see and dance to the music of Milkshake. Very popular band among the 2-4 year-old. (I like them too) Before the concert began there were different activities for the kids. Coloring station, balloon animals by Dot the Clown and face painting.
Ashton zeroed in on face painting like bugs to light. "I want Spider man," said Ashton jumping with excitement. We headed to the table where kids and parents waited in line to transform into princesses, dragons, lions and Spider man.
But, when we got to the table I knew I was in trouble. It was Girl Scouts doing the face painting. Ashton could sense something was different. Where were the middle aged clowns? Why were these young girls wearing brown uniforms with badges instead of big, colorful dotted outfits with giant red shoes? His face showed his worry, but I was optimistic. Why would these girls be doing this if they didn't know how to face paint?
So, I sat Ashton in the chair and he asked for Spider man. The pimpled ponytail girl was mortified and the smile that greeted us vanished.
"Can you paint a Spider man?" I asked. "Sure," she said.
She loaded her brush with red paint and began.
First a red circle on one cheek.
Second some black lines on the red circle on one cheek.
"OK, you're done," she said as she handed Ashton a mirror.
He was shocked to see what looked like a red basketball more than a Spider man face.
I braced for the worst and it came in a tsunami of screaming and crying.
"This isn't Spider man," he yelled as he violently threw himself on the floor so hard his shoes came off.
I was embarrassed, but calmly scooped him up, held him tight and carried him outside to cool off. His older brother quickly followed with Ashton's shoes.
By the time he calmed down his tears had washed away any sign of red and black paint on his tiny cheeks.
He looked at me with a serious face and said, "Mommy, that wasn't a Spider man face."

2 comments:

LARRYHOUSE said...

Marc & Taimy Welcome to parent hood!!It only gets better as years go by. girls, dates with them,cars & very high insurance premiums!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We're starting to figure that out. Any advice?

Taimy