Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What's with all the nipples?

Since Marc began studying to become an electrician I've also been picking up facts about the trade. I'm not able to wire up a whole house or know the difference between AC/DC..I just thought that was a rock band. But, as listen to Marc recap his work day I sometimes learn a few things (whether I like it or not).

This past weekend while in Floral City, Fl. at Ron's house upgrading his electrical panel from 60 to 150 (don't ask me what that means..although what I do know is that it means he can plug in his stove, refrigerator, computer, air conditioner and TV without worrying about the house burning down), I learned about nipples. NOT those nipples. But the electrical building kinda nipples like these below.

Racquel and I were at Lowe's when I spotted the unusually named items. We got a good laugh about it. In a male dominated industry, I guess it's not that unusual.



Conduit Nipple


Offset Nipple


Threaded Nipple

As explained to me by Marc (if I don't get it right let me know), nipples connect two electrical boxes or panels. Offset nipples is used when the boxes or panels do not align.

This has been your electrical lesson for today.

1 comment:

Marc said...

Ya we electricians love some good nipples. Now the next electical word of the day in dykes. As is a pair of special plyers we use on the job.