Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ribs & Tropical Storm Fay on the Menu

I'm cooking ribs in the oven and organizing our photo coverage for Tropical Storm Fay that now looks like will hit the Keys and Tampa. Watch out Mandy.

We're sending a couple of reporters and a photographer to cover the storms in the lower Keys and tomorrow we'll determine when to send a second travel team to Tampa.

SunSentinel reporter and weather guru Ken Kaye reported on our website, Sun-Sentinel.com:

Tropical Storm Fay is now aimed at Tampa, not Naples.
As of 5 p.m. Saturday, the National Hurricane Center forecasted that the storm would strike Tampa on Tuesday afternoon.
Forecasters also said the storm's winds slowed slightly to 40 mph. The storm was located about 60 miles south of Guantanamo, Cuba, and traveling west at 16 mph.
Forecasters warned that Tropical Storm Fay could bring hurricane-force winds to the Florida Keys as soon as Monday.

I went grocery shopping just in case.

Spoke with Mandy, who lives outside Tampa, and didn't even know there was a possible hurricane coming his way till around 2pm today.

PEOPLE NEED TO READ THEIR LOCAL NEWSPAPERS MORE!!!!! INFORMATION IS POWER.

Thankfully Saskia and Quinten are in Holland till next Friday. Mandy says he'll monitor the storm and prepare tomorrow as needed.

Storm Rib Recipe

Ingredience:
Country Style Pork Ribs
Mojo
Badia Complete Seasoning
BBQ sauce

Place ribs in a pan and season with seasoning on both sides. Coat with mojo and allow to marinade (the longer the better). When ready to cook, pre-heat oven on 350 degrees. Cover ribs with aluminum foil and place in medium oven rack. Cook for 1 hour. After an hour, check meat for tenderness with a fork. Cook till tender. Once the mean seems to fall off the bone, uncover, spread BBQ sauce over ribs (can skip this step if you want) and raise temp to 400 degree to brown.

My mom is making these ribs today and gave me the recipe for me to cook it as well. It's my first time, so if it sucks.....blame my mom. If it's great, it's my great cooking skills.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Que es Mojo?

The Peeps said...

Mojo is a type of marinade. Badia is the brand I use. Publix sells it and it's usually in the section with the oils and other marinades. What's in it?
grapefruit juice
salt
garlic
onion powder
spices

Anonymous said...

I emailed with Mandy and I can tell you he now knows about Fay and he actually went to the grocery store and bought water, rice crackers, peanutbutter, jelly, OJ, bananas and muffins and 2 packs of coockies(because they were for sale ;).... I guess he'll survive if the storm hits. I hope the phones won't go down so we can stay in contact. I'm glad we're here in Holland...