Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What camera should Chelsea buy?

Chelsea said...

I love taking pictures. I was thinking of start a blog like this one. I need to buy a camera because mine is cheap. I also don't know which camera would be best for me. I need major help. I don't know where to start, what to buy, all I know is I take pictures of everything with my phone.

Chelsea is in need of a camera, but doesn't know where to start. She knows she loves taking pictures, but what she's used to capture her life's special moments is her camera phone. Not acceptible gear for anyone who appreciates photography and wants to become serious about the art form.
Choosing a camera to take pictures with is a common delema for many people. Cameras are expensive (very good point-&-shoot $300-400 or a profession digital camera $4,000), there are various models of cameras (film, digital) and companies that produce cameras (Nikon, Canon, Minolta, extra).

Where should Chelsea start?

First -- How will she use the camera?
If all Chelsea wants to do is take snapshots of family and friends for a blog or to print than I suggest buying a good point-and-shoot camera. The best out on the market is Canon PowerShot G9. Suggested retail price on the Canon website is $499.99. But, I've seen it online as low as $245.00. When I get the money, I'm going to buy this camera to take pictures with.

Second -- If she seriously strives to be a photojournalists than the investment will need to be larger. This is what Chelsea needs in her camera bag:
1 Digital Camera with manual mode .. Canon Rebel is good and not to expensive or Nikon 100 or 70
1 70-200mm F-2.8 lens... This lens is expensive, but she might be able to find a used one online
1 17-35mm F-2.8 lens .. Also expensive, but she might be able to find one online
1 Flash
1 Flash cord to take flash off of camera

All total this can be close to $10,000 worth of gear. If she buys used it could be less. However, the Canon Rebel sometimes comes as a kit.

The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup. Canon's Speedlite 430EX is perfectly suited to the EOS Digital Rebel XTi. In addition to Canon's EF lenses and Speedlite flashes, many other accessories are designed by Canon to work perfectly with the EOS Digital Rebel XTi. An EF-S 18-55mm is included in the EOS Digital Rebel XTi Lens Kit. Cost online $674.88 from J&R.com

Hope this helps Chelsea ..... we should get together to talk further...how's lunch?


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Taimy, The blog is excellent. Iam looking up the Canon Rebel as we speak. I figure I can use the cheap one for just any family event and if I want to get creative I can use the Rebel. I want to open my blog with a special event or something along the lines. I have the pictures of the boys fishing but I want you to see them first and give me some feedback. I am avaliable whenever you are. I know your busy with the boys. And teaching Ashton not to stangle his friends. lol. Let's step up a date and I am there. I love you guys! Give Ashton a big hug and kiss from his Manina!!

The Peeps said...

I'm leaving to New Mexico with Ashton on Thursday and will be back late Monday. Let try to hook up the following weekend if we don't have the boys. If we do .. we'll get together the weekend after that.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Have fun in New Mexico. I just got the materials I need for the pinhole camera. I am thinking of ideas. I have like 3 weeks from now to come up with an idea like no other. I asked my teacher and yes, he wants me to have the ability to set the shuttle speed. I will call you the weekend after you come back to see if you have the boys. Iam so excited! I decide I'm going to open my blog with my first "official" photography lesson.

The Peeps said...

what kind of subject are you thinking of photographing with your pinhole camera?

Anonymous said...

I am guessing scenic only because I have to do it in the courtyard of my school. But on the second floor there is a wall with like square opens and sun comes in through the squares. I was thinking maybe I could crouch down against that wall and since the sun is coming in it will look pretty but I dont know if its original enough.

The Peeps said...

It sounds like you're thinking the right way....
Composition - the angel you shoot from and how you place your subjects/objects in the frame is very important to a great picture. I like the low angle depending on the subject.
Light - photography is painting with light. It's all about light. So it's great to see you thing about how the sun affects your subject. The best light is the in the morning or late afternoon.
Also think of colors, maybe motion of a person walking through the frame....
Sounds like you have a plan.

Anonymous said...

How was New Mexico? Did you guys have fun? Yeah I had the idea of the person walking through the film but he said it is really hard to make it look fluent. We are going to create three images so I was thinking of trying it out. He said the last one is just to like have fun with so I guess that will be my last one.

The Peeps said...

New Mexico was great. It was very hard to travel with Ashton, but we still had a great time.
Have fun with your assignment and keep in mind the angle you shoot from, where all the elements in the frame are where you want them and look at light.

Anonymous said...

That's great. So what weekend can we meet up?

The Peeps said...

Lets shoot for next weekend. We don't have boys and hopefully we won't have to be cleaning up after Hurricane Ike. Can you come over?

Anonymous said...

Yes, sounds like a plan!!